Friday, December 24, 2010

When Armadillos Attack

Went out to the San Felasco Hammock here in Gainesville with my brother for a trail run. Armadillos were everywhere. We saw one about every half mile.

About four miles in, I was pointing one out to my brother at one point when I heard a pretty loud "wump". I turned around to see my brother (a rather brawny fellow) bite the dust. A split second later, I heard the leaves move in the area of the armadillo, and as I turned in that direction, I saw the gray blur of the little bastard charging right at me. I suspect this was a result of stupidity and poor eyesight by the critter, not aggression. I danced out of the way and he slightly altered his path of trajectory and disappeared into the brush.

My brother had had enough at that point (it was his second time rolling an ankle and falling) and he opted to walk the mile and a half back while I ran on. I did the loop again, picking up the pace a bit since I was alone. Good run.

Ran 11.3 miles @ 8:46/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 133/158
Trails.
Slightly hilly.
Around 60 degrees, sunny.
X-shoes, shorts, short sleeved shirt, hand-held water bottle.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

That's funny. I never even knew that Armadillos attack runners.

Jamie Anderson said...

I admit, calling it an attack might be a bit of hyperbolic, but they are definitely stupid and blind.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

A video would have been good!
Stupid and blind, that's what my wife calls me :]

middle.professor said...

1. take armadillo road kill
2. put tail into mouth (because of rigor mortis, the tail should be close anyway).
3. voila! Tourist Basket!