Friday, December 03, 2010

All Cylinders Firing

Today was one of those runs when everything is working right. You've had them before also, I'm sure. You just feel great and go with it and it feels effortless. Was really happy with this one.

Hit an extremely hilly route that is usually quite punishing. Kept the pace moderate tackling the two big hills in the first half of the run, and it came without much effort. The first hill is shorter and steeper, but the second one is more drawn out and just never seems to end.

However, today it all came easy. Was feeling great on the hills and then roughly matched my heart rate on the downhills by picking up the pace. And despite the pace and hills, I was pleased that the average heart rate was 152, officially making it a "moderate paced" run. I would have expected it higher. Speaking of heart rates, the strap performed perfectly today. No spikes whatsoever.

When I was finished I looked at the overall stats and my eyes widened a bit at the pace averaging 7:35/mile. I think the fastest I've ever done it before in this direction was 7:50-something a mile with more effort. Very good day. I'll buy that for a dollar!

Ran 10.7 miles @ 7:35/mile pace
AHR/MHR - 152/168
Paved roads.
Extremely hilly.
Upper 30s, overcast.
Saucony Kinvara, long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie (off and on), gloves.

No comments: