Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ossipee Hill

Wanted to get in a good medium run on the local trails, and hadn't hit Ossipee Hill in a while so thought that would be a good route to go. Turned out to be a great choice. Had to do some bushwacking at times and negotiate some icy bogs which slowed things down here and there, but it was a fun adventure with some great rewards.

I meandered along the snowmobile and powerline trails until I got to Ossipee. I climbed my way to the top and accidentally took a turn on a new dirt road/jeep trail that went to a new cell phone tower. At first I thought they had knocked down the other radio towers and fire tower and replaced it with this bigger one, but then I realized my mistake. I backtracked down a few hundred feet and found the jeep trail up to the fire tower, which is at the true summit (listed as 1024' above sea level).

I climbed the fire tower and had incredible, clear views of the ocean as well as a snow-capped Mt. Washington and all of the Presidential mountains. It was amazing. Really wish I had brought my camera, but no such luck. I enjoyed the views for at least 10 minutes then decided to head back.

I decided to run on the dirt shoulder of a paved road for about a mile or so on the way back to the powerlines, which is part of my usual route. But I saw another trail going up a smaller powerline, and decided to take that one instead. I knew where this one would eventually lead, but had never run it before. I probably won't again, as the trail petered out and I had to do a fair amount of bushwacking.

Last three miles I was running on fumes. Had a very light dinner last night as well as a light breakfast this morning and I was starting to pay the price. The energy was starting to dip and I would have bonked had I had to go much longer. But made it home just fine and all in all it was a very good run.

Ran 16.3 miles @ 9:42/mile pace.
AHR/MHR 132/153
Rugged trails, jeep trails, dirt roads, dirt shoulders.
Extremely hilly.
Mid teens to upper 20s, sunny.
Adidas Adizero XT, long pants, windbreaker (removed two miles in), fleece pullover, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com

1 comment:

Love2Run said...

That's quite a run and elevation profile (just like your sugar level). No gels or gatorade along?