Friday, August 06, 2010

Slow and Easy

Headed out with the goal of an easy run this evening. The pace fit the description, but it still didn't feel too easy. Just didn't feel peppy at all, much like yesterday. However, the humidity was practically non-existent this evening. In fact, the weather was perfect. Dry air with a strong breeze blowing and temps starting in the upper 70s, falling to the mid-70s during the run.

I think spending the entire day at the beach with the kids I'm mentoring might have had something to do with it.  Sunny days at the coast tend to drain my strength. That and I wasn't able to eat too well, due to a logistical mix-up with lunches for the trip.

Not too concerned. Will do a similar pace and distance tomorrow. Want to have somewhat fresh batteries for the race on Sunday.

Worth noting the deer flies were non-existent on the dirt road portion of the run. Not one. Normally, they are REALLY bad on that section. No doubt the wind played a huge part in them being absent. Funny how they are such strong and fast flyers, but they hate the wind. You'd think they'd be able to handle it. Not that I'm complaining...

Also worth noting that the days are getting noticeably shorter at a very quick rate. Danielle noted this on her blog the other day, and it had been something I was mindful of especially the past week, with my shadows growing quite long at the end of my evening runs. If this were a Facebook status update, I'd be hitting the "like" button. It means fall is approaching, my favorite season. Ah, can't wait.

Ran 5.6 miles @ 8:24/mile pace.
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Upper to mid 70s, partly sunny, windy.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

Sparkplug said...

Jamie, I agree. I "like" that the days are getting shorter too. Come on fall!

See you Sunday!