Thursday, January 01, 2009

Test Run

I waited until the sun was at least out before testing the foot after the cortisone shot two days ago, since it was 5F degrees (-11F windchill).

As for how it went... well, the results are somewhat inconclusive. I have a pretty good sized bruise still from where the shot went in, and it's still swollen. I felt some mild discomfort during the run, and I was flip-flopping the entire time deciding if it was the PF or from the bruise. Time will tell.

Worth noting that I've also been wearing a night splint lately and will continue to do so. I can sleep comfortably with it on, which is good. I'm also icing my foot (it's soaking in a bowl of ice water as I type this) and will continue to wear orthos (I have two kinds now). I'm also taking Aleve, and will also start picking up the massaging again.

As for the run itself, boy am I rusty. The heart rate was sky high, and I could tell it's been four weeks since I last ran. However, the rust will come off. I'm looking forward to doing another run tomorrow to see how that goes.

And thanks to everyone for the comments and encouragement. I really do appreciate it. And I apologize for not keeping up with everyone's blogs lately. Reading them while on the disabled list is a bit like the kid who's been grounded and is watching through the window as his friends play outside.

Ran 3.1 miles @ 8:12/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 159/176
Paved roads, coated with packed snow.
Slightly hilly.
5 degrees, sunny, windy.
Long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

5 comments:

Grellan said...

Looks like you'll be coming out to play soon. Take it easy and happy new year.

mindy said...

Nice run, Jamie - things will come around, you're doing all the right things. Know exactly what you mean about not wanting to read blogs while on the DL. You'll be back full force before you know it! Happy New Year!

Garry said...

Glad to see you out testing the waters again. I hope the treatment works and you are soon to able to join the rest of us in the play ground. All the best in 2009!

John said...

Hey Jamie, Happy New Year!! Hope you had fun in Florida.

I'm with you on these "test runs". I'm doing the same dealing with my knee OA. But I'm passing each test and I'm sure you will too with your PF.

Glad you are getting back to it. Take it easy if you need to however.

MB said...

ya gonna give your x-training a try during this period?