Friday, January 30, 2009

Good Five

Just did five miles today as planned. However, it went very well. Legs and energy both felt great, and the run ended up being a good little progression.

I had a conversation on the phone last night with Bob, and long story short, he helped convince me to give my Heal That Pain inserts another try. Through our talk, I decided that perhaps I didn't give them enough of a chance, and many ultrarunners, including the top folks, have had great success with these.

The first time I tried them a few months ago I ran only once in them and they didn't feel right, so I ditched them quickly. However, running in them today was much more successful. Though it was just five miles, the increased pace did give them a good test, and it was the least amount of discomfort I've felt in a long time while running. It's great that this went well, but obviously only time will tell. However, I'm encouraged.

Mile 1: 8:24
Mile 2: 8:13
Mile 3: 8:02
Mile 4: 7:40
Mile 5: 6:53

Ran 5.0 miles @ 7:50/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 158/175
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 30s, partly sunny.
Long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie.

3 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Glad you're feeling better and your running seems to be on its way up!

mindy said...

Nice pace progression! Interested to hear how the inserts work - good idea to give them another shot.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Sweet Jamie !

Glad they worked out better this time, they also are good for recovery, I use the inserts in my shoes for when I go on sales calls...

SO you may want to use them on school days, keep the pressure or strain off that PF all day long and finally like I said the other day, some people use them all the time even after the healed up like me and some just use a few times a year when the PF flairs up.

Happy trainings!!