Saturday, January 17, 2009

Skate Skiing at Pineland

I met up with my good buddy Stephen at Pineland Farms to try skate skiing for the first time. Saw some other folks I knew there as well, including Jeff and Heather. Big thanks to Stephen et al for the instructions and tips. I needed them. Dude, skate skiing is tough.

I knew it was going to be a long afternoon when I couldn't even make it up a four foot hill with a gradual incline. Skate skiing is way different than classic skiing. The skis are thinner and don't have fish scales and the technique is way different. WAY, way different.

I take pride in being able to pick up most sports very quickly. Skate skiing is not one of them. I am truly humbled. I did make some progress as the afternoon went along, but my poor technique left me too tired to concentrate and I was quite sloppy.

However, let me emphasis that I also had a lot of fun. I can't wait to do it again. It's a buttkicking work out and the challenge of mastering something I really suck at is quite appealing. I will get better. Oh yes.... I will get better.

Stats:
~4.o miles at slow speed.
Fell about six times.
Felt like I ran a marathon and then fought Kimbo Slice immediately afterwards.
Mid teens, sunny.
Snow pants, Goretex jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

4 comments:

mindy said...

You're braver than I am for attempting something difficult like that from scratch. Way to kick ass. p.s. you would SLAY Kimbo in any footrace.

middle.professor said...

Skating is a steep initial curve, then suddenly it clicks and you get it. Until really icy bumpy days which make question your sense of balance. Stick with it. It's fast and fun and good x-training when your are injured or to keep from injury. Good to see you out there and I'd be happy to meet you out there sometime - today I was on my friend's schedule (they had given me a ride).

Garry said...

Skate skiing is all about rhythm. Once you get the rhythm and everything is working together it is a snap. It is way more fun than classic and you can get going pretty fast!

sn0m8n said...

Skating is hard. If you're heart didn't explode the first day, then you should consider it a success. I'll have to hook up with you guys for a ski some day.