Thursday, January 15, 2009

Arctic Hill Run

High temps in the low teens made running today kind of interesting. I remembered to bring the long pants today at least, and was dressed just right for the cold so that really wasn't much of an issue. I rather enjoyed it out there today.

Energy and legs felt great. Pace wasn't flying, but still decent for me on this route. Some good hills, with a mix of longer, gradual climbs and descents with a few sharp, steep ones thrown in for good measure. Heart rate was also somewhat respectable for this route and pace, indicating that I'm getting back on track.

PF is still present, but has been tolerable lately. The night splint and knobbed-massage ball I've been using have both been of good help, or so it seems. Real test will be when the weekly mileage gets back up to where I want it. For now though, I hope to finish the week with 25-30 miles and tack on 5-10 miles a week from there until I'm back up in the 60-85 miles a week range, which seems to work best for me for ultra training.

Ran 7.5 miles @ 8:13/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 156/170
Paved roads, patches of hard snow.
Very hilly.
13 degrees, sunny.
Long pants, Goretex jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

4 comments:

Love2Run said...

Long pants are a keeper this time of year. You still appear a tad under-dressed to me but what works for you! Good luck getting the mileage back up safely.

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Mike! I guess I should note that the Goretex jacket I own is a mountaineering jacket, and therefore very, very warm. It's an older North Face model that's built to last.. well before when those chumps went mainstream and the company went to hell.

Damon said...

Jamie,

I'm glad to hear that the PF seems to be getting better. I have to admit I've been a weather wimp this week and I've been running on the treadmill. Starting on Monday morning, after skiing this weekend, I'll get back outside on my snowshoes.


Damon

Garry said...

Nice to see you making progress with the PF. Pants are definitely a neccessity this time of year!