Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sun, Coffee and Bambi

Today's run could be the last run in sunny weather for several days. The forecast is calling for a 30% to 70% chance of rain every day for the next week. But being that this is New England, the forecast can and will most likely change.

I hope the rain does fall though. It would beat down the pollen that is driving my sinuses a bit nuts. It had me feeling sluggish today, but there were also other contributing factors. I made a large cheese omelet for breakfast, which doesn't exactly give me much energy. A combination of fruit and grains usually works best for me, but I was out.

I've also begun slowly weening myself down off coffee. Down from three extra large mugs to three small mugs, which is about a 2/3 reduction in volume. Today started a new step down. I don't want to have to be a coffee whore during Western States, and also want the maximum effects of caffeine to be felt.

But overall, the run still went pretty well. The highlight was as I was cresting a hill, not even three feet in front of me was a fawn that could only have been a few weeks old. Of course, it startled the crap out of me, and I let out a yell that for some reason sounded like Hank Hill, sending the poor little baby deer running into the woods. No sign of mama around.

Ran 11.0 miles @ 9:02/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A
Trails.
Very hilly.
Upper 60s to lower 70s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Ultrathoner said...

Nice blog... Good luck at WS100.

DawnB said...

Thanks for your visit the other day. Good luck kicking the coffee habbit. I love tea I don't think I could give up my one large cup in am. Good luck with Western States. Very funny about the fawn

GetBackJoJo said...

Oh man! Weening from the coffee? So hard and so not fun. I agree, though, you get a better zip if you've been drinking less of it leading up to a race... And the warm weather will make it easier to ween, right?
Me? Can't do it. I just love coffee too much.