Friday, June 13, 2008

Stocking Up

I got a new pair of Asics Trail Attack 4 WRs today from the Maine Running Company. My "old" pair is still going strong, but I wanted to have two pairs for Western States. They're a pretty flexible shoe and break in pretty quick, and I started that process today by doing two laps around the Back Cove in Portland. These shoes fit me perfectly and for me, they're simply the best trail shoe out there.

Also, before I headed over to Portland I stopped home after work and a package from Succeed! was waiting for me. My order for a new bottle of S! Caps and Clip-2 had come in. Sweet. Good to go.

Also at work, I was able to laminate my pace charts. Damon over in Vermont is also entered into Western States. He created an in depth pace chart and kindly emailed me the spreadsheet. I printed them out at the school and one of the graphics students laminated a few copies for me, my pacer Stephen, and my crew. Thanks Damon and helpful student!

And since I'm plugging companies and other runners away like mad in this post, I'll go ahead and mention that the 6-mile Bradbury Scuffle is this weekend, directed by none other than the famous Ian, our fearless Trail Monster leader. I'll be volunteering and look forward to it. Meant to post about the race earlier, but if you can't make it this weekend, click on the below button for some other Bradbury trail races that will be happening this summer!


As for my run today, it went well. The Back Cove only has one small hill and the trails are well groomed, so it's pretty fast. The new shoes already felt great, and if they're like my other pair, just a couple more runs and they'll feel perfect. Afterwards, met up with Heather and we got some healthy burritos from Herb Gully's and watched the boats from the Eastern Promenade as we chowed down.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 7:40/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (actually forgot the Garmin, timed myself with the Timex and the trail has mile markers)
Trails.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 70s, sunny.
Shorts.

2 comments:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Wow - I hadn't thought about pace charts (like pages of pacing) for ultras - but it makes sense. Learn something new every day!

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com

Damon said...

Jamie,

You apparently have an incredibly popular blog. Your reference to my pace chart ramped up the hits on my blog to the most I've ever seen in a day.

You'll have a big contingent rooting for you at WS.

So, what columns are highlighted in yellow on your laminated sheets? Twenty-two and 24 hours?

I've been reluctant to even speculate on a finishing time so far. If I was running VT100 this summer instead of WS, I would certainly be going for my first ever sub-24 hour finish. But, at WS, things will be different, especially if it's hot. I'm guessing that I'll be in the 26-28 hour range, but extreme heat could push me towards the cut-offs.

When do you leave for CA? We are heading out on Saturday.


Damon