Monday, June 16, 2008

Eight Out Back

Nice run this evening in relatively cool but very humid conditions. Was ungrogging from a nap for the first mile or so, but still felt strong throughout. I hit the trails behind my house, running a lollipop loop out to the lake and back, and then adding another small loop that goes through a swamp.

This latter section is now tricky, since a snowmobile bridge going over a brook is in very bad shape and is resting on top of the water. When you walk across it (I dare not run on it), it sinks into the water and looks like it could break apart at any moment. It was right before this section that I also saw a deer. I have been seeing a lot of them lately.

Western States logistical preparations continue. Like Damon said in a recent blog post, I share a chief concern with him about flying over and something going awry with that. Having two connections on the way over just makes me nervous. But I'm flying out the Wednesday before the race, which should give me plenty of time... but still.

Ran 8.1 miles @ 8:40/mile pace.
Trails, fire roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 60s, overcast, humid.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

5 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Having two connections on the way over just makes me nervous.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ya I hear ya, well that is good news you get in on Weds...

ahhhh it's getting closERRR :-)

Blaine Moore said...

You've been seeing a lot of deer lately? Were any of them unicorns?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's so close!

Ultra Steve said...

Jamie,

I wish I was in taper mode for WS100. I'm soooo jealous!

Have a blast out there!

Don't fret the travel issues or anything else you can't control. Focus on the goal and have fun!

Steve

mindy said...

You make it out there in a breeze. Plenty of time to relax and enjoy the first winged portion of your journey.