Saturday, June 07, 2008

Recovery and Heat

I woke up feeling pretty sore from last night, more so than expected. Still, nothing horrendous. Was anxious to get out today and take advantage of running in the heat. It can get into the triple digits in the canyons on the Western States course, so I want to be ready.

Because I was (am) sore, I played things by ear. Plan was to do the full 4.7 mile trail loop from my house and do it very, very slow. No need in trying to be a hero during a taper. I also wasn't going to hesitate cutting it short if needed. Fortunately, not the case. Felt better as the run went on and the muscles loosened up.

Big difference in temperatures between last night and this afternoon. Last night, with temps in the lower 50s throughout the run, we were shivering a little before and afterwards. Today, in the mid-80s and humid. A differential of more than 30 degrees!

Will probably rest tomorrow, as it's a busy day and I could probably use the day off. Heat is supposed to be around still on Monday, so looking forward to another run then.

Ran 4.7 miles @ 10:07/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (didn't feel like wearing strap)
Trails, dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 80s, sunny, humid.
Shorts.

1 comment:

mindy said...

I'm convinced you are the Six Million Dollar Man. Bionic eye for night vision, bionic legs, bionic right arm for bushwhacking at Western States... it's all making sense now....