Sunday, June 22, 2008

Running With the Gray Fox

Ran a little over 4 1/2 miles on the trails across the street. The deer flies were once again brutal along the mile long dirt road section. Like yesterday, not as bad on the shade covered trails.

A very special treat when I was about a half a mile from home. I rounded a turn and saw what I first thought was a coyote running about 50 feet in front of me in the same direction. It hadn't seen me yet, so I kept running, making a point to be quiet and try to catch up to it a little more. I then noticed it had a big, bushy tail and got a better look at the color of it's hide, which was gray with red highlights. Yup, gray fox! About 10 seconds later it must have heard me, turned around to get a peek and then darted off to the side and into the woods. Cool.

Today I'll organize my drop bags for Western States. I already have a good idea of what will be in each one. All will have some Clip2 drink mix, S! Cap electrolyte pills and Gu. I'll go ahead and put my headlamp in the ForestHill drop bag, where I pick up my pacer, Stephen, at mile 62. A pair of socks will also in the drop bag at Rucky Chucky so I can change if needed after the river crossing.

Ran 4.7 miles @ 8:41/mile pace.
Trails, dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Lower 70s, sunny, humid.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

2 comments:

Meredith murphy said...

Make sure your drop bags are the right size! That is my plan for today too! Looking forward to catching up with at WS next weekend, i cannot believe how fast the time has gone by :)

Judi said...

Hey, thanks for reading my blog and thanks so much for your comment. It was not too cheesy at all.