Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hills, Strides and Semi-Stray Dogs

I had originally planned to do a series of uphill and downhill repeats today. I had a neighborhood block in mind that I thought would be perfect. The plan was to sprint up the hill, turn left on to a mostly level street for active recovery, turn left and sprint downhill, turn left on a mostly level street for active recovery...repeat. But on the run over, I was feeling a bit creaky so I wasn't so sure about the workout.

However, when I got to doing them on the block I had my eye on, it became very apparent that the hills were an optical illusion of sorts. They looked steeper than they really were. To do the workout on these "hills" would be cheating myself. It reminded me of the folks who take the train up Mt. Washington, walk 100 feet over to the actual summit and then raise their arms in victory. I wasn't fooling anybody. No honor it.

That being said, I was feeling a bit creaky anyway. Rather than seek out another block for my proposed workout, I opted to just extend the run over some hills and cap it off with 10 X 100M strides.

As I was less than a half a mile from the school parking lot where I'd do my strides, I saw a stray beagle in a small wooded area next to a town facility. I know beagles are known for bolting, so I mused it could be from a nearby neighborhood. I stopped and tried to call it over, but it jogged away from me further into the wooded lot. Definitely skittish. Maybe it was somebody walking their dog off leash and the owner was on the other side of one of the several small hills a few dozen feet away? I ran on.

I reached the parking lot and did a series of 10 X 100M strides, but seeing that dog bugged me more and more. I decided to drive back and check to see if I could find it again. I scoped the area and looked around, but no sign of the dog. I got back in my car.

As I pulled out to leave, a guy came out of the adjacent building. I rolled down my window told him about the dog and asked if he might know anything. It turns out he did. The dog was a stray, or at least used to be, but they have been taking care of it and feeding it for the past five years. I assumed they gave it shelter as well, as the dog looked quite healthy. Definitely well fed (fat even) and a nice shiny coat. He mentioned they had tried to call animal control before but didn't have much luck. Obviously the dog would be better off in someone's home, but I felt a little better that it was at least being looked after. As I mentioned, the dog looked like it was very healthy. Still, it bugs me knowing it's not in a home.

Ran 9.4 miles @ 7:44/mile pace (includes 10 X 100M strides)
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Mid 40s, overcast.
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt, cap.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

As Snoopy once said, "Beagles can't be choosers."