Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Hay is in the Barn


I love these posts. The ones where I declare the hard work is done and now it's a coasting taper leading up to the next big race. And that is the case today. Now it's time to rest up and let the workouts culminate to a point where I'm hopefully in peak form for the MDI Marathon three weeks from now.

This morning was not without obstacles though. I've come down with a nasty head cold. It sucks. Ear aches, head aches, sniffling, and the body even feels a bit achey. Last night I felt like ass, but this morning I felt slightly better but that's still not saying much. It was also really humid out. REALLY humid. Like 97% humidity humid. Soupy weather sucks, especially when it's officially autumn and the leaves are already changing.

But I was determined for one last big run. This "training cycle" has been an odd one. Just a lot of races, both long and short, this spring and summer. They've gotten in the way of training, pure and simple. But I've definitely had some very high points, both in races and in training, so I can't complain.

Okay, on to the run. I had planned on 17 miles with at least 10 miles at marathon pace (7:18/mile). I figured even with the head cold and the weather I could at least manage that. I worked down to MP by the second mile and then dipped below it and held it there comfortably.

I fought through not feeling well and the muggy weather by simply ignoring it and just zoning out on the rhythm of my footsteps. The pace came pretty easy. Very pleased. Now on to an afternoon of vegging on the couch and watching football.

Ran 17.1 miles @ 7:07/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 60s to lower 70s, partly sunny, very humid.
Saucony Kinvara, shorts, handheld bottle (water).

2 comments:

Grellan said...

17 miles at less than marathon pace with a head cold - seems like you have enough hay in the barn for a lot more than 7:18 pace. Enjoy the taper.

Jeremy Bonnett said...

There's a whole lot more than hay in the barn man. Strong work on that final last run, quite impressive!