Sunday, February 07, 2010

Trail Exploration

I had toyed with the idea of doing a long run today, but an hour before the run I decided against it. However, I think I could have done it pretty comfortably. I ran nearly 12 miles today and felt fine, despite the relatively speedy 15 miler yesterday. Still, today was good, and just more gas in the tank for the upcoming week I suppose.

I opted to do some exploring today instead. Hit the trails up near the powerlines for starters. They did selective logging there this past summer, and I haven't been there since. The woods looked so different, so I didn't exactly know where I was. Not lost, just not sure which trail I was on.

After a few miles, I figured it out, and ended up near the top of Deering Ridge. Took the road for a short ways back to the snowmobile trail known as Rt. 89, and went along the powerlines down the other side of the road, which I had never done before.

That was a nice downhill, and I ended up on Deerwander Road, as I expected. Took said road back up to the abandoned railroad bed, where I knew a trail existed and I hadn't been on it before.

That trail led me back to the fire road of the area I often refer to as the "woods out back". I wasn't far from home, but wanted to get in a few more miles so I returned by taking a longer loop back through the woods out back.

Good day. Kept the pace slow, but still felt strong and energetic throughout.

Ran 11.8 miles @ 9:48/mile pace.
Trails, coated with ice and thin snow, some bare patches. Some short sections of road.
Very hilly.
Upper teens to mid-20s. Sunny.
Brooks Cascadia 3 (screw shoes), fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.


2 comments:

Kim said...

Jamie, while 12 miles may not be long for you, it would be my own personal record. :-p. HA!

Love running powerlines as they usually have pretty good trails already established. Wish I could find some locally with as many miles as yours though. Sounds like a very nice run.

Anonymous said...

That's a great loop there. I'll have to check out the trail that goes from the powerlines up to Deerwander. I was a little sad that you did not go out and back though - you missed my "Hi Jamie!" message in the snow near the powerlines!