Thursday, February 18, 2010

Time Travel to April

Ski and a run today, the circumstances of both are more than unusual for this time of year with the lack of snow and warm temps.

When I was at Harris Farms yesterday buying milk, the folks there said there was still skiable snow in the wooded sections. They had told me this a few weeks ago, but it kind of went over my head. But after seeing the conditions in the wooded sections of Pineland last weekend, which were better than expected, I figured I'd give it a go.

Ski
I hiked in about half a mile across the pasture to the Joe Buzzell loop. Yep, in the woods it wasn't all that bad. Sure, some bare patches here and there, but they were somewhat rare and easily avoidable. The snow was thin in spots, but overall not bad.

Goal today was work on technique. I ditched the poles and leaned them against a tree a few times to get more efficient at using my legs. I had neglected to continue doing this earlier this season, and I became more reliant on my poles as a result. Not good. But the drills today definitely helped, as it seemed tough at first but easy at the end. I probably skied at least a third of the time without using them.

I also worked on my V2. I can V1 and V2-alternate pretty easily and naturally, but just the straight V2 is much tougher, at least for me. Still, I made some progress today.

Also, Jim helped me wax my skis last weekend. This made a very noticeable difference. Pretty big, in fact. Much more glide.

Skate skied 8.0 kilometers @ 9.6 kph.
Trails, thin snow.
Moderately hilly.
Upper 30s, sunny.
Long pants, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Run
By the time I got home, temps had warmed up into the lower 40s with bright blue skies dotted with small, puffy clouds. I figured I'd run now rather than later, while the muscles were still warmed up.

Shoe choice was a no brainer. Strapped on the Vibram Five Finger Sprints and hit the roads. If this weather keeps up, it won't be long before I'm running the trails in them.

Run went well. Kept the pace down as I usually do with the VFF's, especially on the roads, until my feet get fully adjusted. Looks like more chances to do just that are ahead. However, I did run the last mile in a bit under 8:00/mile and did so comfortably. I believe that's a first. Good run.

Ran 4.6 miles @ 8:34/mile.
Paved roads.
Mostly flat.
Lower to mid 40s, sunny.
VFF Sprints, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, cap.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Skiing in these Spring-like conditions can be hard on the equipment. I have a pair of "beater skis" I use for when there are bare patches and the occasional rock or branch sticking up out of the snow. If you're using your good skis, be careful with them!

Kim said...

Hey there Jamie, I can't wait to hear about how the Five Fingers hold up on trails because I am getting myself a pair of them for my "street running" on week days before work. I would love to know how they do on trails. I am guessing they wouldn't do well with mudded trails?

Nice run and skiing you had.