Sunday, February 15, 2009

WS100 Contemplation

Not a bad little run today, aside from it being little.

Been doing a lot of thinking lately in regards to the Western States 100. If things don't turn around in the plantar fasciitis department within the next month or so, I'm going to have to get real and consider dropping out. I'm going to set a deadline for myself by the end of March at the latest. Even then, that's pushing it for allowing myself time to train properly.

My first true active release therapy session is tomorrow (last Thursday was more of an exploratory session to see what was up). Hopefully this will do the trick. I'm running out of bullets.

Ran 4.6 miles @ 7:58/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 158/175
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 30s, sunny.
Long pants, fleece jacket (which was excessive), short sleeved shirt, beanie.

6 comments:

Thomas said...

You've got to give the ART a chance to work first. Then you can make up your mind regarding WS.

mindy said...

As some famous poets from the '80s once said "Hang tough". I think the ART sounds very promising - eager to hear how it goes and what they do.

Damon said...

Jamie,

Given your training from the last couple years, I think you'd be surprised at how quickly things can turn around in your training when you are healthy. Every winter, I spend a lot of time skiing and I always run less than I feel is optimal. And every year, after 8 or so good weeks of running in April and May, I find myself feeling pretty fit and ready to go for summer races. It might depend on your goals for the race, but it's tough to get into WS and you never know when you'll get another shot. Even if you go there planning to "tour" the course rather than race it, it might be worth the trip.

So, I don't think you need to make a decision as soon as you might think.

I don't know about your lodging plans or travel plans for the race itself, but I have a house rented for a few days before the race and rooms in Auburn for Saturday and Sunday night. I'm sure we could squeeze you in if that makes it easier for you to delay a go/no-go decision.

R. Ian Parlin said...

Not sure if Damon was in NKOTB or not but what he said makes a lot of sense. And let me add to that:

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Everybody's always talkin' bout who's on top.
Don't cross our path cause you're gonna get stomped.
We ain't gonna give anybody any slack.
And if you try to keep us down were gonna come right back,
And you know were
Hangin' tough, hangin' tough, hangin' tough.
Are you tough enough?
Hangin' tough, hangin' tough, hangin' tough.
Were rough.

Jamie Anderson said...

Big thanks everyone. After today's ART session, I'm feeling more optimistic.

Damon - words of wisdom for sure. Thanks! I think I'm good for lodging, but appreciate the offer.

Ian - too funny! Ya know, NKOTB are coming to Portland...

Luc said...

Hang in there Jamie. You got a lot of good vibes your way, so use them to your benefit. :)