Thursday, November 30, 2006

Early Morning Run

Ran 5.7 miles @ 7:57/mile pace. Paved and dirt roads. Very hilly.
Weather: Upper 40s, very foggy, balmy.

Running early in the morning will definitely take some getting used to. This was my only chance to run today, so I sucked it up and headed out my door at 4:50am to do my 5.7 mile loop.

Fortunately, it was unusually balmy out thanks to a warm front. However, it was also very foggy. My headlamp was of little help at times, serving to blind me when reflecting light off the mist in the thicker patches. This, along with simply not being used to running this early, slowed me down considerably but it's somewhat moot mentioning that since the goal here is to get in more volume.

My stomach wasn't too happy during the run, and I had to stop twice in the woods to take care of things. The second time I heard what sounded like a raccoon make a call a few dozen feet away. Better that than a bear, which is what I actually dreamed last night that I'd encounter.

All in all, it really feels great to get the workout in and I can go about my teaching and grad school business today guilt free. Also, the mileage was perfect, as I felt I could use a light and easy day. That worked out nicely.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I've had the same experience with headlamps and fog at times. I was surprised that my vision improved when I turned off the lamp.

Hope the stomach comes round again. It's really not much fun running on a dodgy digestive system.