Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Two Mile Time Trial

Our varsity cross country teams were running their final two mile time trial of the season today. Decided to hop in and join them. I know I'm not up to speed yet, literally and figuratively, but needed an assessment to see where I'm at, so this was perfect.

I did slightly better than expected. Averaging 6:08/mile for the two miles (which were hilly) isn't too bad for me, considering my only speed work lately has come from the tale end of progression runs. Very encouraged now, actually.

Continuing to ramp up the mileage is still the primary objective, but I also think it's important to start incorporating some speed work here and there to build up strength and also keep the fast twitch muscle fibers in check.

So, yes. Another solid stepping stone. Very pleased with how things are progressing and I feel I'm pushing myself just the right amount while still playing it safe. I'm pretty happy with that balance right now.

w/u: Ran 1.8 miles @ 7:25/mile pace.
Ran 2.0 miles @ 6:08/mile pace.
c/d: Ran 3.0 miles @ 8:28/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Upper 50s, overcast.
Saucony Virrata, shorts, long sleeved shirt.

No comments: