Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Art of Snowshoe Running

Ah, back home. Was very surprised the snowmobilers haven't been out yet on the trails near my house. Seems like there's definitely enough snow. No worries, I was happy to break trail, even if it meant my breaking my ego.

With at least a foot of powdery snow, the going was tough. Extremely tough. I could hear my heart beating in my ears and it sounded like the double bass drums off a Slayer album. My lungs couldn't suck in the sweet oxygen fast enough. Ah, snowshoe running. I nearly forgot how tough this is.

Would love to get the heart rate monitor working again. Easily at least a 5K effort, despite going about the same pace as an old lady with a walker. I had hoped to go around 3-4 miles today. Ummm, I settled for a mile and a half. If the trails were broken in, obviously it would have been much easier, but I ended up with a buttkicking workout instead. Nice.

Snowshoed 1.5 miles @ 15:46/mile pace.
Trails, at least a foot of unbroken powder.
Slighly hilly
Upper teens to lower 20s, overcast.
Dion 121 snowshoes, New Balance MT110, long tights, fleece pullover, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: