Monday, December 31, 2012

Going Nordic

First skate ski session of the season. Ryan drove down my way and we met up at Harris Farm for a good butt whuppun', at least for me. For just a couple of snowfalls, the conditions overall were great. A bit soft in spots, but still faster than expected.

And as expected, the rust was apparent. I don't think I skied at all last year, only because it was one of those weird years with hardly any snow. It didn't take long for me to start sucking wind and for my heart rate's metronome to start kicking in the turbo, largely because of my inefficiency.

We hit Harris Farm's most popular trail first, the Joe Buzzell loop. After a while, I was beginning to more or less find my form, which isn't saying much. Ryan, however, was a big help and gave out some pointers that really made things easier. The biggest one was he showed me how to properly ski in low gear for going uphill. That really helped big time.

Definitely a lot of fun, and we got in over nine kilometers, which was great for me at this point. We had a blast, to boot. Afterwards, we headed back to my place and Kate prepared us an awesome post-ski lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches with avocado, tomato, onion and bacon. Great cap to the morning!

Skate skied 9.2 kilometers @ 10.2 kph/average.
Groomed trails, some soft portions.
Moderately hilly.
Upper 20s, sunny.
Long tights, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: