Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Hitting the Track

Interval work on tap for today. After a warm-up, I did 6 X 800M repeats with 400M active recovery. Went okay. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed with the times but I also realize that's stupid and illogical thinking at this early stage. Also, very windy out...and the stench from what looked and smelled like a faulty oil heater at the adjacent school made it tough.

But all in all, not bad. I know I can improve and there's time. Purpose today was to test the legs a little to get an idea of where I'm at, but at the same time not overdue it with the reps since I haven't had much build up yet. For a starting point, I guess I'm in a pretty good spot.

What will happen with the training cycle is these interval workouts will work up to two-mile cruise intervals, accompanied by another MP run during the week as well as a long run. That's pretty much straight out of the Hansons' plan, but there are also other weeks that will include some modifications like longer tempo runs, hill workouts and step back weeks. It's all in my head, just need to get it down on the spreadsheet and I'll share it this week (comments and suggestions welcome when I do).

Song going through my head during the workout:

w/u: Ran 1.8 miles @ 8:09/mile pace.
6 X 800M w/ 400M active recovery. 2:54, 2:57, 2:54, 2:57, 2:58, 2:51.
c/d: Ran 1.3 miles @ 8:46/mile pace.
Paved roads and track.
Slightly hilly for w/u and c/d.
Mid 40s, mostly cloudy, very windy.
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie (w/u, c/d), gloves (w/u, c/d).

No comments: