Sunday, December 30, 2012

Motivation and Winter Fun

Opted to run in the snowshoes again today. I had a longer road run in mind but the road shoulders were sloppy from last night's snow and truth be told, my running motivation is still pretty low. Hopefully it's just a phase, but the training intensity required to run a fast road marathon just isn't floating my boat right now. Sigh...

However, snowmobilers were out so I took advantaged of trails that were in better shape for snowshoe running today. Now that I was looking forward to! The trails were packed down but not enough to avoid postholing without snowshoes, so I was grateful for another opportunity to use the Dions today. They performed awesome.

The run was great. Much easier than yesterday, but that's a relative term. I've decided there is no such thing as an "easy pace" when snowshoe running. My heart rate was probably the equivalent of a solid moderate road pace and I was hardly pushing it.

Low weekly mileage this week, but with cross training that includes some skating/hockey and the snowshoe running thrown in, pace and mileage aren't the best barometers for measuring what and how much was done.

Going to continue to think about things as far as training for Boston. Like I said, maybe the motivation will rebound. But right now, I'd really love to put more eggs in other baskets, like continuing to learn to play hockey, skate skiing (I'm going tomorrow!) and snowshoe running. Yes, some of those translate well into running, especially snowshoe running, but you also should train on what you'll race on. Bottom line, the point is to have fun, right? Those other things just seem like more fun to me right now. And changing gears to focusing more on ultras again is starting to sound better and better to me as well. Less speed, more long slow distance in the woods...ahhh. Time will tell if this is a sea change (or a puddle change).

Snowshoed 3.9 miles @ 10:45/mile pace.
Trails, well to moderately packed snow.
Very hilly.
Upper 20s, mostly cloudy.
Dion 121 Snowshoes, New Balance MT110, long tights, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

1 comment:

unstrung said...

Embrace that shiz! Skate skiing rocks! Hope you'll blog about it even though it isn't running.