Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Never a Dull Moment

The bell had run several minutes ago and it was just myself in the classroom, along with a few students who were hanging out afterwards when a sheriff's deputy walked in. Probably like most other high school teachers, I assumed that one of my students was in trouble. I began to rack my brain and guess who might be the culprit but thankfully, that wasn't why he was here.

The deputy needed help enhancing some video for a case he's working on. It's gotten the attention of the local press recently and I first heard about it on the local news this morning. It probably wouldn't matter if I mentioned it, but I'll refrain for now just in case.

Anyway, this is pretty exciting and fun in that challenging kind of way. I really, really want to be of help and hope I can pull off what is asked. It's a tall order, and the deputy realizes that, but it would be so nice if I could get it to work. But I'm kind of stumped. I asked some others who might have some tricks but none of our ideas fully worked. After an hour of trying every trick I knew, I decided to take a break and went for a run to clear my head.

I did the seven mile hilly route from the school. Went well. Legs felt great and I ran a progression, starting out at an 8:12 pace and working down to 6:09 for the last mile. During the run, I thought of something else to try with the video, came back and tried it, but it didn't work. It's just too low quality, but I'll give it a shot again tomorrow.

Ran 7.1 miles @ 7:27/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 30s, partly cloudy.
Saucony Kinvara 3, long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves (shed in second half).

No comments: