Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hay is in the Barn


Just about three week to go until Boston, so this was a key workout of sorts, especially for mental reasons. Wanted to do 17 miles at a little under MP, but I wasn't sure how that would go since my legs were feeling pretty heavy all week. I'm not sure if that was because of a pretty big last couple of weeks of training/racing, the heat or some combination of both. Regardless, the legs felt pretty spry upon wakening this morning, which was good.

It went well. Really well, in fact. I felt pretty great throughout. I can honestly say the first four miles were probably the hardest, but once warmed up I felt super and just kept it going.

Did have to stop for a bathroom break around mile seven or eight. I was a bit bummed about that, as I wanted to keep the heart rate up. Decided to make up for it by putting down the pedal a little harder for the next handful of splits, so I evened things out as best as I could.

Pretty stoked. It verifies to me that the half marathon two weeks ago wasn't a fluke. Confidence is pretty high right now, but I'm still going to be a bundle of nerves the morning of April 16th. I've pretty much done all that can be done now and I'm pretty happy with the hay that I've stacked in the barn during this training cycle. Bring on the taper madness!

Ran 17.2 miles @ 6:40/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Moderately hilly.
Lower 40s to lower 50s, partly cloudy.
Saucony Kinvara 2, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com

6 comments:

Kevin said...

You've been running great workouts and races, been getting in good mileage, and you've been consistent. I'm sure you're going to run well. Good luck.

Judson Cake said...

Nice workout. Like you said, "hays in the barn". Enjoy the experience.

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Super happy for ya man! Confidence is key. The half marathon, and this run are going to be great previews for the race to come. Congrats!

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks guys. Hopefully the weather will be ideal again this year.

Grellan said...

Very impressive run Jamie. You should seriously consider starting out slower than race pace and cutting in over 4 or 5 miles (say from 7:15 pace) - that way the opening miles will be less stressful on the body and your HR will gradually ramp up. Very difficult to do considering the opening downhill miles of Boston will feel so easy. Good luck with the taper.

Jamie Anderson said...

Thanks Grellan. Good thoughts. And especially since it's so steep, I would think it is all the more wiser to be careful.