Sunday, October 23, 2011

Woods Out Back

I had a fun morning, helping out at a 5K race in the town I teach in and then once I got home, I was eager to hit the woods out back for a trail run, so I did just that.

The mantra was slow and easy for today, though the legs feel fine from last weekend's marathon. Ran into a few interesting folks during the run. The first guy was a mushroom hunter. He had a 5-foot spear with him, which I assumed was for gathering mushrooms... but not the case, he was afraid of coyotes. I didn't argue the point much about the statistical data on coyotes and human attacks, but regardless, he was a nice guy and I told him I'd keep an eye out for any chaga for him. 

On the return back on the fire road, ran into another fellow who lost his dog after it chased some birds into the woods. I offered to help him out, but he said he was confident the dog would return at some point. I told him if I came across the dog I would do my best to corral it back to him, and I continued on. 

Good little run and the weather was perfect. Been thinking quite a bit about how I want to go about preparing for Boston. I'll detail that in a post sometime this week. 

Ran 6.6 miles @ 8:58/mile pace. 
Trails, fire roads. 
Very hilly. 
Mid 50s, partly sunny. 
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap. 

3 comments:

middle.professor said...

that's pretty funny. A spear in case of a wild coyote strike. Good thing you weren't running with an unleashed husky!

Jamie Anderson said...

Yeah, it was odd. The head of the spear was double razored and pretty hardcore. Still, a can of mace is much lighter and effective.

Laurel said...

Holy heck, I run out there some times! If I saw that guy with the spear, I probably would have pepper sprayed him before he had a chance to explain that he wasn't a psychopath!