Sunday, February 13, 2011

More Trails

The trails were so great at Bradbury Mountain yesterday that I decided I would get in a run before helping out with Ryan and Ian's second installment of their three race Bradbury Mountain Snowshoe Series.

All last night and this morning I had hemmed and hawed about the mileage. I felt great yesterday, so was thinking I would do the 15-mile loop again. However, my legs felt a bit creaky this morning, and I didn't want to push things and take away from the training regiment next week, so I decided eight would be enough. Then, after waking up a bit, they felt loose and good to go, but I still didn't want to push it, so I compromised and decided 12 miles would be good. That would also get me over 60 miles for the week, which was a nice bonus.

Run went well. It was 4F/-16C when I got to the park, so a bit chilly. I had my mittens in the car, but went with my light gloves, which I regretted a bit especially midway into the run. I headed out towards the powerlines, and when I hit the gravel pit section about four miles in, the temperature seemed to drop a good 5-10 degrees there. The apparent temperature drop stayed put on the powerlines, where I turned right (we've been turning left lately) for something new, and went about a mile down and then turned around and came back the same way.

Good run and I felt great. I returned to the parking lot to see Ryan, Ian and Mindy there getting ready for the snowshoe race, and I jumped in and helped them get things set up and then worked timing the finish line with Val. Really fun time!

Looking back on the week, it was yet another solid week of training that I was pretty happy with. I ended up with more miles than I had planned for this week, which was nice and I didn't feel like I was overly pushing it. I am due for a step-back week though. I'm just glad I'm getting in those key workouts. With Boston just two months away now, it's a good time to have the training reved up high and for me, I feel I'm doing that. Still a lot of work to do, but I feel like I'm on track, which is all one can really ask for.

Ran 12.2 miles @ 9:13/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - N/A (wonky data, the Garmin "premium" strap sucks in cold weather)
Well packed snowmobile trails.
Very hilly.
4 degrees start, lower teens finish, sunny.
Adidas Adizero XT, long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: