Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hill Repeats

Pretty tough workout on tap for today. Wasn't feeling particularly energetic so that made it a bit more tough. But, I got it done, and all in all not bad.

I ran 4.2 miles of gradual climbing up to a ridge from my house. On the other side of the ridge the road drops off rather steeply, and I ran a session of eight hill repeats there. Each sprint uphill was about 2/10's of a mile long and climbed 90 feet, depending on which graph you look at... the one below has a shorter elevation change. Regardless, pretty tough.

Afterwards, I ran the same way back home, thankful it was mostly downhill on the way back. Now time for a nap (hey, I'm on vacation).

Ran 12.1 miles @ 8:05/mile pace (includes 8 X .2 mile hill repeats)
AHR/MHR - 146/170
Paved roads.
Extremely hilly.
Upper 20s to mid 30s, sunny.
Saucony Kinvara, long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves (shed during repeats).

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com

3 comments:

sn0m8n said...

Very curious...how fast did you run the repeats? Why were they so short? My instincts/limited knowledge make me think that you would do longer repeats. Really, very curious as the purpose/goal of the workout.

Jamie Anderson said...

Wasn't sure the timing of each rep, just decided to let the watch run since I figured timing was irrelevant if I just pushed each rep as hard as I could, which I did.

I'm hardly an expert when it comes to hill repeats, but I wanted shorter but more intense intervals to jack the heart rate more and hopefully raise the VO2 Max while providing an anaerobic workout for the leg muscles. I figured that's the best way to do them since I run on hills most of the time anyway. But again, my experience is limited w/ this type of workout.

sn0m8n said...

That's a good point. With all your regular hill running, makes sense to jack up the intensity in a shorter session. Dig it.