Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mile Repeats

Glad to get in some interval work today in the form of 5 X 1 Mile repeats with a quarter mile of active recovery in between. Since the recovery time is pretty short, the goal was to maintain around a 5k-10k pace.

Not sure what that is, so I just referred to the MacMillan Calculator, which has me doing them roughly between 6:15-6:30/mile (based on a mix of cruise and speed intervals using a 3:10 marathon as a benchmark). Splits ended up being 6:14, 6:12, 6:19, 6:21, 6:17. That averages out to 6:17/mile.

I'm a bit bummed, as I averaged :15/mile faster over the summer. However, I guess I could say my legs weren't fresh today, it was very windy (and cold), and there was an unavoidable 30-40 foot stretch of thick ice I had to run on. Part of me says all of that is reasonable, but part of me thinks it's just excuses.

Did this workout by running around the school, and used the interval workout feature on the Garmin 410. Very handy and easy to set-up. The interval feature is probably the same on most Garmins, so if you haven't tried it yet, definitely check it out. Works great.

w/u - Ran 1.8 miles @ 8:14/mile pace.
5 X 1-Mile Repeats w/ .25 mile active recovery in between - 6:14, 6:12, 6:19, 6:21, 6:17. Total of 6.0 miles.
c/d - Ran 1.8 miles @ 8:46/mile pace.

AHR/MHR - 157/168 (for intervals and active recovery only)
Paved roads, some ice.
Mostly flat for the intervals, slightly hilly for w/u and c/d.
Mid 20s, sunny, very windy (wind chill of 12)
Brooks Mach 11, long pants, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

No comments: