Saturday, February 19, 2011

Marathon on the Trails

What a great day, and what a difference a day makes. Yesterday, I was dragging butt on my run and not feeling well. Today, some good friends Val and Linda were hosting a big group run, and I had wanted to get in 20 miles but after yesterday's run I wasn't sure if that was going to be in the cards.

Still have a touch of the head cold but I was obviously much better today and my energy was through the roof somehow. I was feeling terrific throughout the run and actually decided to do just over the marathon distance and did so very comfortably. Not sure what happened there, but it was very welcome and a nice surprise.

Run was made easy since I ran practically the whole thing with my homey Ryan. We jibber jabbered about just about everything and his company was most welcome. Had a lot of fun!

Trail conditions were much better than expected, which helped a lot also. I was expecting mash potato snow given the very warm days the past couple of days, but the snowmobile sections of trails (about three quarters or so of the five-and-change mile loop we'd run multiple times) were very well packed and firm still, which was not expected and very welcome. About another quarter or so of the loop was single track paths that Val and Bethany had packed down yesterday for us all to run on. These were pretty challenging, but a lot of fun! Great mix of the two.

Crazy wind today. At times, it nearly stopped us in our tracks. But when it was a tailwind, it gave a huge push, so I guess it all evened out.

Good day. Just need a few miles tomorrow to get me over 60 for the week for the third week in a row. Stoked about that.

Ran 26.3 miles @ 9:37/mile pace. (excludes stops)
AHR/MHR - 136/161
Snowmobile trails and snowshoe trails.
Slightly hilly.
Upper 20s, sunny, extremely windy.
Adidas Adizero XT (screwed), long tights, windbreaker, long sleeved shirt, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com

No comments: