Sunday, January 03, 2010

Why Nordic Skiers Have Bigger Upper Bodies Than Runners

I experienced this first hand today. It was my third time XC skiing skate style. A bunch of the Trail Monster crew was present but Ryan graciously hung back with me and gave excellent instruction on how to make my skating more efficient. Jim also hung back and helped as well. Not necessary of them, but much appreciated.

Ryan REALLY helped out big time. Huge. I made big leaps and bounds in my progress today, refining my stride, and learning diagnol V-skate and V1 to get up the hills, all thanks to Ryan (and an assist from Jim). Those uphills were the buttkickers. Especially later in the session when I was tired and my form got a little sloppy. Ryan's instruction was top-notch. He explained things clearly and was also very encouraging. Thanks dude! I left today stoked at how much I learned.

I still have a ways to go and much to learn, but I am having a total blast with skate skiing. It's such a great workout all around (my pecs and triceps are noticably sore, I'm sure they'll be more so when I wake up tomorrow). Really, really fun.

I can now fully appreciate this clip:




XC Skate skied 4.7 kilometers @ 7.7kph/avg.
AHR/MHR - N/A (heart rate would have been sky high, that's for sure!)
Groomed trails (some said they were kind of slow conditions)
Slightly hilly (by running standards)
Upper 20s to lower 30s, cloudy, snowing.
Long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt,

4 comments:

sn0m8n said...

No thanks necessary. Had a blast. You're going to be cruising in no time. I was impressed with how quickly you picked it up.

That clip is pretty sick. Pay close attention to Northug when he makes his move. He's using a variation on the V1 called the hop skate. If you tried that your heart would explode--the tempo is ridiculous. After that he's using V2. Look at how smooth his transition is. We can work on V2 next time. It's the hardest to master, but it will get you what you need to us the V2 Alternate, which is the most fun--you can fly.

Trail Boy said...

That looks so fun, yet so impossibly difficult. I'd like to give it a whirl, if it didn't kill me.

R. Ian Parlin said...

Du prøvde å åpne en side som ikke eksisterer.

Jamie Anderson said...

Jeg lurer på om du prøvde å se på video på jobben og de har det blokkert?