Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Mini-Me of Yesterday

I still ran in the morning and skied in the afternoon like I did yesterday, only shorter and slower on both fronts to allow for recovery. I woke up feeling pleasantly sore from yesterday. Keeping things in check wouldn't be a problem.

Run
Just did an out and back in the woods behind my house. Pretty uneventful. Saw a guy walking his black lab, and I stopped to say hello and pet the dog. Also saw two women snowshoeing, though the trails were packed and snowshoes were far from necessary.

Ran 4.6 miles @ 8:58/mile pace.
Snowmobile trails, well packed.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 20s to mid 30s, partly sunny.
Brooks Cascadia 3 (screw shoes), long pants, fleece jacket, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

In Between Run and Ski
Came home. Lounged around. Took a nap.

Ski
Left the house around 1pm and hit Harris Farms. I bought my season pass there, and was pleasantly surprised that they credited the money from my day pass a week and a half ago towards the season pass. They did so without any prompting from me. That's what I love about Mom and Pop operations. Plus, the family that owns it is just super nice. And, the trail network there is excellent for cross country skiing (check out their trail map below)! I can't say enough nice things about this place.

Unfortunately, the trails were a bit icy. However, that was already changing while I was skiing, as a moderate to heavy snow started to fall. And, additionally we're supposed to get 6"-9" tonight and tomorrow. So, it should be great when I return tomorrow.

So, I just did a few kilometers on the Joe Buzzell trail. I didn't want to wipe myself out too badly and wanted to save myself for tomorrow when the conditions will no doubt be better. I was also pretty darn tired from the past two days. Still am. It's a great feeling.

Oh yeah, treated myself to a quart of their chocolate milk again afterwards.


Skate skied 3.1 kilometers @ 9.4 kph/avg.
Groomed trails, very icy and thin snow in many spots.
Moderately hilly.
Around 30 degrees, overcast, moderate to heavy snow.
Long pants, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I forgot one thing earlier - I used your "2 cloves of raw garlic + OJ" cold remedy the other day. It worked a treat, the cold disappeared overnight, but the wife told me in no uncertain terms that I am not to repeat that particular cure.

Hey, I'm grateful, but the other half is not.