Sunday, January 10, 2010

Capping Off a Well Rounded Week

I hit Twin Brooks with Jim D. this morning to get in some skate skiing. Continued to improve a lot, and towards the end of the session, it was actually feeling easy. The needs to stop for a breather were less as the morning went on and I felt pretty fluid on the uphills, and continued to skate the flatter terrain and downhills with much more confidence.

It's been a very well rounded week, which is my goal this winter. Breakdown is as follows:

34.7 miles running
13.9 kilometers skate skiing.
6.4 miles elliptical.

The skiing distance is pretty unimpressive for someone who knows what they're doing, but that's not me yet. The effort put forth to get most of those kilometers equates to buttkicking workouts for me as I'm still learning. However, the tide may be starting to change there, as I continue to see big improvement and it's feeling easier.

That being said, I still have a lot to learn with skate skiing. Jim pointed out that I need to lean forward more when climbing, and he's right. And I noticed by watching my own shadow when the sun was at my back that I need to keep my poles closer in. I'm sure there's more.

Really great day though. Happy to have gotten out. Legs didn't really feel sore from yesterday, which was a nice surprise.

Skate skied 6.6km @ 10.5 kph/avg (6.5 mph).
Slightly hilly.
Well groomed trails (fields were great, woods were icy.. after one short section in the woods, we stuck to the fields).
Mid teens to around 20, sunny.
Long pants, fleece jacket, long sleeved shirt, beanie, gloves.

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

Awesome Jamie. On uphills, try keeping your poles parallel with the ski that you are poling on. This will bring the arms in. If this doesn't make sense, we'll try it next weekend!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

check out this video on why spending time barefoot is mportant to your health
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K12qddbG7E