Friday, January 15, 2010

Carpe Tepidus

A warm day today, with highs in the lower 40s. Since days like this are very few and far between during the winter here in Maine, barefoot/minimal footwear training outdoors is quite difficult and sporadic.

I took advantage of the weather and got in a good road run in the Vibram Five Finger Sprints. Running on the roads in these shoes requires a bit more care than the trails due to the hard surface. I did a little over five miles in them, which is about my upper limit in them on the roads for now. Can't move to quickly in them yet either. That'll all increase as the opportunities arrive when the weather starts to warm up this spring, but of course I'll take great care to make sure I'm gently ramping things up.

Also felt good to run in shorts. However, I'm thankful we'll be dropping back down to seasonable temperatures this weekend, and get in a bit of snow. That'll bode well for XC skiing, which I plan on doing a lot of this weekend.

Ran 5.3 miles @ 8:34/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 40s, partly cloudy, breezy.
VFF Sprints, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, beanie.

2 comments:

Love2Run said...

You are hard core! Winter, shorts, vibrams....!

Thomas said...

I had to google "tepidus" and you know what? This blog entry is on number 6 of the search results.

Utterly irrelevant and interesting at the same time.