Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January Thaws Suck

The weather yesterday was very depressing for any winter sports enthusiast. A warm rain really did a number on the snow pack. It's hard to believe that just last week, the base was building great after a big snow storm on Monday that was followed with more snowfall through Wednesday. It looked like we could be good for the rest of the winter. But now, that has all changed.

So, doesn't look like Nordic skiing will be happening until we get another good snowfall. Hopefully it'll be soon. I'm really enjoying the skiing and it's kicked my butt in ways I didn't know were possible. I mean that in the most complimentary fashion.

I tried to think positive and embrace this evil warm weather with a road run in the Vibram Five Fingers this afternoon. I told myself this winter that whenever the temperature gets above 40 degrees, I'd take advantage of it and run in the Vibrams even if it meant sacrificing distance and/or pace. I'm still only comfortable doing a little over five miles in them on the roads slowly until I can do more runs in them regularly and ramp up properly, so that's what I did today.

Ran 5.2 miles @ 8:33/mile pace.
Paved road.
Slightly hilly.
Lower 40s, partly sunny, windy.
Vibram Five Finger Sprints, shorts, windbreaker, short sleeved shirt, cap.

2 comments:

Jan Mueller said...

Man, I know how it feels...I am travelling back-and-forth between Finland and Germany; in Finland there are almpost always great snowsports conditions in winter and in Germany it's just mud and dirt. But hey - I am returning from Finland to Germany tomorrow and it looks like there is enough good snow to gat active in Germany too. So I better take my XC-gear with me. COme over from Main and let's have a good ski together :-))

Cheers from Finland, Janne

Grellan said...

Isn't it great that you can adapt to the conditions and pull out the vibrams instead of the skis.