Monday, May 05, 2008

Mini-Taper

I'm in a weird sort of period with my training now. I'll be easing up on the mileage over the next two weeks so I'll have fresh legs to pace my friend James at the Massanutten 100. This race is somewhat unique in that it allows pacers not at a certain checkpoint, but at a certain time which is at 6pm... 13 hours into the race. You still have to meet up with your runner at an aid station after that time. Hard to guess how many miles I'll be doing but I'm thinking it'll be around 40 miles or so.

After that, I'll run the 50-mile race at Pineland Farms a week later on May 25. I anticipate having a pretty good race, even with pacing James and the somewhat unorthodox taper. This all fits in nicely with my training as five weeks later is the big show. Can't wait!

As for today's run, it went well. Ran on the railroad beds at a pretty good lick. Even though the trails aren't terribly hilly (note that there is only ~100' elevation difference in the below chart), they can be pretty technical. Felt okay at first, but really good as the run went on.

Ran 7.6 miles @ 8:17/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 139/157
Trails.
Moderately hilly.
Mid 60s, sunny.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt.

No comments: