Tuesday, August 28, 2007

New JMT Trail Record... and My Run

First, the real news. A huge congratulations to my good friend Sue Johnston who has just set the new speed record on the John Muir Trail in California.

She finished last night at midnight and her total time from Whitney Portal to Happy Isles (219 miles) was 3 days, 20 hours (92:00). This breaks the previous record set by Kevin Sawchuck which was 93:05. Outstanding achievement for sure! (Thanks to Al for the above stats)

I got to know Sue before before she moved from Vermont to California. We did a number of hikes and trail runs together, and became good friends in the process. Not only is she an outstanding athlete, but a great person to boot. She's a lot of fun to be around and I simply can't say enough great things about her. She is definitely a big source of inspiration for my own running and I'm really, really happy for her.

---

Okay, now my run, which pales in comparison. I just went a little over four and a half miles today on the trails at Twin Brooks. I joined James, Ian, Blaine, his wife Erin, Shauna, Fran, and two other folks who I had just met and unfortunately I forgot their names. Good crowd. Felt a bit run down, as I have been the past couple of weeks. However, looking at my pace afterwards, we were going pretty fast for this terrain.

After the run, our friend Chuck (aka, TC Hazzard, who also was my pacer in the Vermont 100), flew in on his Velomobile. Really nifty bike, and very practical as well. He has lot's of great info on his website that explains why, if you care to check it out.

Ran 4.6 miles @ 8:08/mile pace
AHR/MHR - 154/166
Trails.
Very hilly.
Mid 70s, sunny.

2 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

WOW what an amazing accomplishment by Sue J

thanks & I can add this to my mental log when I do my little Ole 50 and find myself in a low moment ...I can say "Sue did 219, get ur chitt together Bob and re-focus" :-)

Have a great week!

Runner NYC said...

First of all, I want to tell you how great it is that you are so sincerely supportive of other runners, both ahead and behind you on the trail/road! Your support of my efforts is greatly appreciated - I hope you know that!

Second, congrats to Sue! That's quite an accomplishment - especially because it is usually assumed that the records will be held by men with a special record for the top women. She's an inspiration to women athletes everywhere!

Third - great run for you! You're entitled to feel sluggish now and then. You've been through a lot this year and have been working hard. And look at you - still going strong!!