Friday, August 31, 2007

Up-Tempo

Taking it easy this week is paying off. I was able to crank out today's run feeling great both physically and mentally. Not a long run by any means, but felt good about my pace on this very hilly route. The problem had been the area just above the front of both knees feeling sore. I suspected this had to do with those muscles or tendons taking on a heavier load due to overworked (or should I say trashed?) quads from the Vermont 100 last month. I felt that dissipating during the week, and it was non-existent today. Run felt relatively effortless for that pace. Good.

Ran 5.6 miles @ 7:13/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 160/175
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Mid-upper 60s, overcast, muggy.

Tomorrow I'm running the Pemi Loop in the White Mountains with some friends. It's more of a speed hike really, as most parts aren't very runnable. The route we're taking is the usual one I do, 33.3 miles long and goes over 10 mountains over 4000'. Temps are supposed to reach the mid 40s on the summits with 20-35 mph winds with stronger gusts. With that weather and heavier jacket I'll bring as a result, I'm not expecting to go too fast, but who cares? It's always a fun time and ends up being quite a memorable adventure.

3 comments:

Adelyn said...

Great job out there! The 'normal' route of yours sounds like quite the adventure, and I'll look forward to hearing how it goes! With fun things like that, pace is so secondary :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the weather and company worked out well. Wink Wink.

Katy and I tripped up to Vermont for the holiday weekend. Lots to write about when I get home....22 more miles running technical trails with the Vibram FFs.

TY said...

Found your blog while researching meniscus tears - my partial ACL tear from '06 finally tore all the way, along with my meniscus, back in January. I'm still taking care of appointments, etc., but I'm hoping to have surgery in a few weeks.

Anyway your recovery was impressive! I've been really bummed about not being able to run, but I'm hoping to get back into it in a few months. Thanks for sharing your surgery story.