Monday, August 06, 2007

Yoink!

Thank God I'll never have to do this again. All four of my wisdom teeth were taken out this morning, a procedure I have delayed for the past decade because... well, I hate going to the dentist, let alone an oral surgeon. However, my doctor was a very nice and well qualified guy who made me feel comfortable and I knew I was in good hands.

They put me under, and the last thing I remember was talking about ultramarathoning with the nurses and my doctor. Apparently when I came to, I asked the nurse at least five times when I'd be able to run again. The answer each time was a very kind and patient "maybe by tomorrow". And once I asked "how long will I be able to go?". She apparently wasn't sure how to answer, and my friend Sarah got a good laugh out of it. I don't remember any of that, however. I have a vague recollection of driving home and seeing double of everything, but that's all I can remember between initially being put under and waking up from a nap after Sarah drove me home. While I was asleep, she went out and bought me all sorts of additional goodies and got my prescription filled. Thanks Sarah! Just mixed a yogurt smoothie with some wheat grass and that really hit the spot.

A bit painful at times, but this isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.
The vicodin will no doubt help as well. Alright, enough ranting. I generally don't like posting about anything unless it's more running related, but thought my somewhat nonsensical running inquiries to the nurse might amuse a few of you.

Happy running, and I'll be back out there "maybe by tomorrow."

8 comments:

Blaine Moore said...

My brother had his teeth yanked when he was 17 or 18 and was playing basketball the next day. I had mine removed at 14 and was laid out for a week. Hopefully you are in more of the next day situation.

I remember when they put me out that they told me to count backwards from 100. I think that I got to 97.

Love2Run said...

Ouch! glad to hear you've stocked up on ice cream. I remember my son talking nonsense when he had his removed and he never remembered any of it.

Runner NYC said...

I did the same thing! My friend, Sue, who came to pick me up at the hospital when I got hit by the car, told me that I kept telling the medical staff that I was running 22 miles the next day. They kept telling me I wouldn't. They were right. Sue thought it was hilarious!

Hope you're feeling better soon! Any ice-cream recommendations?

Jamie Anderson said...

Haagen Daz (sp?) coffee flavored frickin' rocks. I'm also a huge Ben and Jerry fan. But alas, I'm in the process of modifying my diet and ice cream and other sweets will be curtailed even more.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

I am with you on the dentist thing - not exactly my favorite either.

Hey, a belated congrats on the ultra. You are insane. Any time anyone starts a sentence with "I was hoping to finish in under 24 hours..." there has got to be something wrong.

That'd be great if you could join us for a training run on MDI.

MB said...

btw, nice new 'about me' photo on your blog

good luck with your teeth

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Jamie said:And once I asked "how long will I be able to go?". She apparently wasn't sure how to answer, and my friend Sarah got a good laugh out of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOLOL ahhh that is great, not only can I run but HOW long can I go :-)

Hey it's OK to post a few things outside of running, don't want to think that is all we do, ummm even though that is umm all we do (smile)

Recover well!!

Olga said...

Wow, all 4 at the same time! And remember, you do not run ON your teeth:) OK, forgiven for a couple of days. Heal up, spit some blood and drink vodka - it disinfects and anelgesise!