Thursday, May 24, 2007

Great Balls O' Fire!

Ran 5.6 miles @ 7:48/mile pace.
AHR/MHR - 166/180
Paved and dirt roads.
Very hilly.
Upper 80s, sunny.

I wish the title of this entry was about my pace, but I was referring to the weather. Man, hot out there! Still, I was happy with my overall pace, especially given the conditions. The heat really sapped my strength on the uphill stretch for the first three miles. Splits were 7:28, 7:55, and 7:57. Next mile I was even slower at 8:06 during the downhill. But I recovered, and nailed down mile five at 7:46 and hit the last six-tenths of a mile at a 7:25/mile pace.

Shin splint was present, but nothing bad. The rest day yesterday must have helped. Everything else feels great. Once the splint goes away, I'm looking forward to tacking on more miles. I'm still planning on running the Mt. Washington Road Race in a few weeks. I'll probably be slower than last year, which is a blow to the ego, but one has to be realistic and overall I know I'll have a good time and that's what it's all about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

So little time, too many typos.

So let us try again.

Glad to see you are back out logging miles.

Just caught your comment about Pineland. I assume you will be there as a spectator?

Although I am registered for the 50K, it does not look like I will be able to make it. I will be in Greenville with my daughters and it does not look like I will be able to make it back until later that day.

There will be other trail races to lure me in this summer and perhaps I can even work in one ultra.

Enjoy!

Gotta Run..... said...

"Slower" is better at any race than "Not at all."

Your times don't look bad to me. Ice those shins... they will thank you.

MB said...

good luck at Mt Washington always an experience there

What happened to Sugarloaf? I mean, did they run the race this year?