Monday, October 29, 2012

Rust, Sandy and Venison Chili

It's been a long nine days... a nasty cold virus moved to my lungs and was the source of regular coughing fits that happened for several days. The nasty deep down congested kind of coughing, to boot. Running just would have been stupid, especially since I'm in a recovery-followed-by-long-term-rest period anyway. I was worried I might have bronchitis, but just as I was getting to the point to where I was ready to call the doctor, I started getting better.

So, today I felt good enough for a short and slow run. Yeah, the outer fringes of Hurricane Sandy are hitting us, but I really wanted to go for a run, despite the wind gusts close to 50 mph at the time. No big deal, just kept a sharper eye on the cars and the trees.

Felt really rusty. I think my legs were confused. It felt unusually hard, but that's totally to be expected after nine days off. However, at the same time it felt great. Giving the legs some turnover while feeling Mother Nature's wrath as the wind whipped light rain in my face... it was freedom. I loved it.

Got home and showered, and shortly thereafter our power went out for about 2.5 hours, thanks to a tree falling on the power lines about a quarter of a mile down the road. It's back on now, and hopefully it'll stay that way. But while it was out, Kate and I were well prepared and we made a killer venison chili for dinner under the light of kerosene lamps. It ruled.

Adjusting the wicks on the lamps. 

Cooking sans electricity. 

The final product: a most delicious venison chili. 
Recipe for the chili, if anyone is interested. 

Ran 3.1 miles @ 7:58/mile pace.
Paved roads.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 50s, overcast, light rain, very windy.
Saucony Kinvara 3, shorts, long sleeved shirt.

No comments: