Saturday, October 20, 2012

Running With Zak

Long day today, and it started with the regional cross country meet. Our girls team advanced to states for the first time since 2003 which is very exciting. The boys team ran well, but the competition was tough and we've been missing our number two runner all season due to injury. Very proud of how well they ran today though.

Afterwards, I headed over to the Big Brad Ultras to help out. Several said my efforts would be best spent by pacing my friend Zak. I was intrigued, but expressed grave concerns about running 15.5 miles not even a week out from my marathon. I compromised though and offered to run the last six.

That turned out to be great. It was awesome to see some of this beautiful and tough course first hand and help a good friend out. Zak was running super strong though and only picked up steam with each passing mile. Seriously. He came in mile 44 looking great and only left an increasingly hotter blaze of fire in his wake. On the downhills, I had a hard time keeping up, and it had nothing to do with my marathon last weekend... my legs felt fine... Zak was just that fast.

Zak's strong and smart running paid dividends: He came in second place. 'Nuff said.

Aiming to run four times next week for a total of somewhere between 15-20 miles. This blog might be relatively boring for a while, so apologies in advance.

Ran 6.0 miles @ ~11:30/mile pace.
Technical trails.
Extremely hilly.
Lower 60s, foggy, humid.
New Balance MT110, long sleeved shirt, shorts, cap.

1 comment:

unstrung said...

Badass.