Saturday, October 13, 2012

MDI Marathon Eve


Checked in at the expo and am ready to go. Nice to run into Bob D., Ty T., Eric M. and Peter K. while I was there. Was strategizing with Ty and it looks like I'll be riding his shoulder for at least the first 10k. I was very happy to learn that his plan mirrored mine... take the first 10k relatively conservative to warm-up and also not burn as much mojo on that first wave of big hills. Once on Cooksey Drive, the pace drops and look out below. 

The weather forecast looks pretty raw. Windy, cool and rainy. Of the elements, the wind will by far be the biggest challenge. As Judson noted, it will be in our faces for the other big wave of hills at the end (as well as other sections of the course). That'll be tough, but so be it. I thought I handled it well last year when it was pretty similar. Not pleasant, but you just hunker in and bulldog your way through it. 

Ran today also. After I checked in at the expo I headed over to Eagle Lake for a couple of miles on the carriage trails. Pretty uneventful, other than the legs feeling very spry and ready to go. Just have to play things smart tomorrow and there's no reason why I shouldn't have a great race. Am taking extra measures diet wise to help ensure my stomach behaves tomorrow. I don't want a repeat of what happened at the Bruiser. 

Ran 2.1 miles @ 8:01/mile pace. 
Carriage trails. 
Mostly flat. 
Mid 40s, sunny, windy. 
Brooks Mach 13, shorts, long sleeved shirt. 

2 comments:

Sparkplug said...

Have a great race tomorrow, Jamie!

Judson Cake said...

Good luck,

See you out on course.