Thursday, May 05, 2011

Sawyer and Veazie Mountains

This run almost didn't come together, but thankfully it did. Plan was to meet Jeremy at the trailhead off Sawyer Mountain road, but he was running late. When he called to tell me that, I got in a few miles on the trails then went back to my car. However, he called again and turns out he was at a different trailhead. Oops. We quickly devised a plan for both of us to run up to the summit of Sawyer Mountain and just meet there.

That worked out well, as we caught each other at the turnoff trail that's a few tenths of a mile away from the summit. From there we explored the area and made our way over to Veazie Mountain. Several times throughout we commented how awesome this place was to run. The hills are wicked steep and the trails provide a great mix of rocks but also several longer stretches of just.. well, dirt.. without a huge amount of rocks and roots.

Worth noting my GPS got a horrible location lock for the first few miles, so the below stats are greatly skewed. I'd guesstimate I should subtract a mile from the below stats and it'd be pretty accurate, but don't feel like recalculating the pace and all that so I'll just leave it as is for now.

Ran 8.9 miles @ 11:03/mile pace.
Rugged trails.
Insanely hilly.
Upper 40s, mostly cloudy.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap, handheld water bottle.

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

I looked at the map on RunningAhead and that looks like a fun run. Count me in next time!

Laurel said...

I've run there a lot. Nice climbing, but horrible washed out trails. Much better running when i's snow covered snowmobile trails.