Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Final Pre-Masters Year

Yep, today is my birthday. I'm now 39, so just one more year until I hit the 40 years old milestone and get bumped into the Masters category. Such a nice sounding label for older farts who run, but that's still 365 days away.

Today will be a busy day both because it's my birthday but also work will have me going a few hours later than usual. Only decent option to run was early this morning, so I hit the trails in the woods out back.

So, at 4:30am I was out the door with my headlamp lighting the way. Heard a barred owl hooting its standard call at full volume and then later, at the first signs of sunrise, I heard a winter wren.

I also ran into a couple of turkey hunters. Truth be told, I totally forgot it was turkey hunting season, but while caution is warranted, it's still way different than deer season in terms of safety. We exchanged good mornings and a mile later I was home without any bullet wounds.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 8:45/mile pace.
Trails, fire roads.
Mostly flat.
Upper 40s, overcast skies.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

Grellan said...

Happy Birthday kid.

Thomas said...

Happy birthday!

When I turned 39 everyone predicted I would dread next year. They could not have been more wrong, I was counting down the days until I finally joined an age group category. All of a sudden I started coming home from races with some winnings in my pocket.

Steve_Day said...

I agree with Thomas, the first couple years after I turned 40 I brought home all kinds of age group awards.