Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Final Pre-Masters Year

Yep, today is my birthday. I'm now 39, so just one more year until I hit the 40 years old milestone and get bumped into the Masters category. Such a nice sounding label for older farts who run, but that's still 365 days away.

Today will be a busy day both because it's my birthday but also work will have me going a few hours later than usual. Only decent option to run was early this morning, so I hit the trails in the woods out back.

So, at 4:30am I was out the door with my headlamp lighting the way. Heard a barred owl hooting its standard call at full volume and then later, at the first signs of sunrise, I heard a winter wren.

I also ran into a couple of turkey hunters. Truth be told, I totally forgot it was turkey hunting season, but while caution is warranted, it's still way different than deer season in terms of safety. We exchanged good mornings and a mile later I was home without any bullet wounds.

Ran 5.0 miles @ 8:45/mile pace.
Trails, fire roads.
Mostly flat.
Upper 40s, overcast skies.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, short sleeved shirt, long sleeved shirt.


Grellan said...

Happy Birthday kid.

Thomas said...

Happy birthday!

When I turned 39 everyone predicted I would dread next year. They could not have been more wrong, I was counting down the days until I finally joined an age group category. All of a sudden I started coming home from races with some winnings in my pocket.

Steve_Day said...

I agree with Thomas, the first couple years after I turned 40 I brought home all kinds of age group awards.