Monday, May 23, 2011

Easy Trail Run and Pineland Thoughts

Opted to run from my house today, rather than the school. Primary reason for that was simply because I got a late start this morning and to save time I opted not to pack my running stuff. Much prefer to run from work as when I get home I typically feel lethargic and just want to lay down and veg, but I resisted that temptation by immediately changing and getting out the door without thinking about it.

Run went pretty well. Felt pretty sluggish for the first half but warmed up for the second half and felt more energetic. Another damp, cloudy day. This spring is a far cry from last year, which was hot and dry.

Been thinking about my 50-miler at Pineland Farms for this weekend. It's just really tough to gauge where I'm at, given that I'm riding off my Boston training cycle and for the past six weeks I've focused on recovering and then maintaining fitness for a few weeks and then tapering back down. It's been kind of a running purgatory of sorts and as a result, I can't assess where I'm at exactly.

And... I really don't think breaking eight hours will be in the cards. That'd mean running at about 9:30/mile pace average, and not to be negative, but I just don't see that happening for 50-miles for me. I'd like to try though. May do the first 12-13 miles at that pace and then reevaluate and slow down to ensure a finish if needed. I should still PR though (8:33:41), and I'd consider finishing slower than that a failure. So... I guess that's my real goal.

Ran 4.5 miles @ 8:35/mile pace.
Trails and paved roads.
Very hilly.
Around 50 degrees, overcast, foggy.
Adidas Adizero XT, shorts, long sleeved shirt.

1 comment:

mindy said...

I have the feeling all the TMs will pull out pretty fantastic races at Pineland this year. You always have a great mindset going into things, J-Rock, and whatever happens, you're guaranteed to have a great time with friends! :D