Thursday, June 17, 2010

Yasso 800s

Anybody who reads this blog (and why you read it is beyond me) probably already knows what Yasso 800s are, but just briefly they are running 800 meter repeats with light jogging in between for the amount of time that you did your repeat.  The recommendation is start off at doing four reps, and tack on another one each time you do the workout until you get a total of ten reps.

Many claim it's not only a great speed workout, but also an accurate predictor of marathon times WHEN you reach the point you're doing ten reps.  For example, if you average your ten repeats at 3:15 (min/sec) per 800m rep, then you should run a 3:15 (hour/min) marathon.

Which leads me to why I'm doing this madness.  I plan on running the MDI Marathon in October for my first real big race since my latest injury, and this time I'm training specifically for this race, as opposed to riding off ultramarathon training (i.e. barely any speed workouts).  I've run it four times before, and it's a very well organized and fun race, but also one hilly mother of a tough course.

General training plan is to get in a speed workout, tempo workout and long run each week, with easy running in between.  I don't do well with specific formulas that nail mileage and times to a "T", but I think this is general enough while still providing structure that it should work for me.  Just need to spend time working up to the long runs again.

Back to the run:  Goal for the workout was to hit between 3:10-3:15 (hint, hint).  Ended up going faster more of a result of being out of practice at hitting the proper pace.  Handled it okay, but if I did more than four reps, it wouldn't have gone as well at this point.

.75 mile warm-up
2:55
3:13
3:07
3:04
.6 mile cool down (barefoot).

For next time, will do a longer warm-up and cool down.

Track.
Very flat.
Upper 60s, mostly cloudy then clearing to sunny, breezy.
Asics GT-2130, shorts.

7 comments:

middle.professor said...

Excellent. I'm also considering the MDI. I like your plan. That's the bread butter of any week.

Sparkplug said...

Awesome! So glad you'll be back at MDI again. You're going to do great!

Westley said...

Good numbers! I have Yassos incorporated into my training plan too. How reliable have you found Yassos as a predictor of marathon performance?

Gretchen said...

I have to confess that I sort of love this workout. I did it all the time last year. It takes forever when you get all the way up to ten reps, and totally kicks my ass, but God it's the best high! Keep reporting back on how they go.

Jamie Anderson said...

Westley, I have no idea. This is the first time that I plan on doing this workout regularly. However, just have repeatedly heard through others that it's a pretty solid predictor. Good luck!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

I AND FRIENDS HAVE USED THE yASSO 800'S IN TRAINING A FEW YEARS AGO.
On the whole they give a very optimistic reading, in truth they can be only an indication of how good you are at doing 800 intervals!!!
back in 2008 i got a reading of 2.46 I ran 2.53 for the marathon, my friends rob got 2.40 in the yasso but was only in 2.54 shape and Tracy ran 3.10 in the yasso and ran a 3.27 marathon.
I think a better indication of marathon fitness is to do a progression run of 40 mins easy, 40 mins steady[below mp] and 40 mins at hoped for marathon pace, the pace you can achieve in the last 40 mins i found to be very close to my actual marathon pace.hope this helps.
anyway the yasso is a very good workout and good luck with the marathon.

Jamie Anderson said...

Good to know, Rick. Thanks! I may have to aim a bit higher. :-)