Friday, June 11, 2010

Six on the Railroad Bed

Great run today.  Hit the old railroad bed from the school and got in six quality miles, but things didn't start off so easy.  I discovered before the run that the Garmin's battery was dead.  This didn't help matters, as I was already really very tired and the allure of simply going home, watching the World Cup and taking a nap was tempting.

I quickly shook that all off though and just ran.  Weather was great and I turned on to the trail that led to the converted railroad bed.   Running under the thick tree cover that allowed only small, scattered rays of light through the thick, overhead branches instantly helped put me into running mode.

Once on the railroad bed, it was easy to naturally pick up the pace.  The trail is hardly technical and the grades are slight, making it easy to go faster.

Though I didn't know my exact pace, it was pretty obvious to me that I was going well under 8:00/mile after a couple of miles.  I'm sure my splits would have shown a true progression run.   Verified the sub-8 pace though by looking at the time afterwards.  Will call it 7:50/mile mile, which might be a bit conservative.  Nothing flashy, but at this stage it's great.  And what's even better is that it came pretty easily.  The mountain biking while waiting for the foot to heal definitely has helped.

Ran 6.0 miles @ ~7:50/mile.
Trails, mostly converted railroad beds.
Slightly hilly.
70 degrees, partly cloudy.
Shorts, short sleeved shirt, cap.

No comments: