Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bumbling Around Bradbury and The Back Cove Run

The Ride
The Trail Monster Running gang was meeting up at Bradbury Mountain for a run this morning.  Running with them was tempting, but I don't think I'm ready to try and keep up with everyone yet until I shake off some more rust.  However, it was a great excuse to go there to see everyone and get in some mountain biking.

Saw Ian, Jim and Nate in the parking lot and was chatting with them for a bit but more and more mountain bikers were showing up, so I scurried out to have the trails a bit more to myself (a.k.a. the freedom to wipe out with less chance of others being around).   That being said, mountain bikers are an extremely friendly and helpful bunch, much like trail runners, so I really shouldn't be so self-conscience.

I hit the ridiculously technical O-Trail first.  Only fully fell twice, which tells me I wasn't going fast enough or taking enough risks.  But though my overall speed was slightly up for the entire ride, I think I was being a bit more conservative on this trail due to many wet roots that really made things tough.

Finished the O-trail, then hit the Lanzo and Island trails, then the Ragan and Fox West Trails.  I really like the Fox West Trail a lot.  Fun downhill ride.  However, on one sharp turn I spooked a ruffed grouse.  Because of the turn, it's line of flight ended up being right in front of me and I slammed on the brakes and literally missed it by inches.

While braking (and fishtailing a bit) I hit a rock which loosened my back wheel.  I stopped to check it out, listening to the grouse making whimpering noises not unlike a whiny puppy.   I hoped it wasn't hurt or something. I'm certain I didn't hit it, so maybe that's just a noise they make, but it was still quite odd.  Anyway, fixing the wheel was easy.  It was just a loose bolt so after tightening it up I finished up the ride, reaching the parking lot and finding the Trail Monsters had just finished their run.  Stopped and chatted for a while, before taking off to the Back Cove for my own run.

Mountain biked 7.5 miles @ 5.1 mph/avg (13.9 mph/max). 
Very technical trails. 
Moderately hilly. 
Lower 60s, overcast, very humid. 
Shorts, short sleeved shirt. 

The Run
Pretty uneventful, other than I had planned on two laps around the cove, but ended up doing just one.  I didn't want to overdue things, as my legs were quite sore from the bike ride as well as yesterday's run.  Definitely the right call, as after the drive home my legs felt quite stiff walking from the car to my front door.  However, the run itself was great and no issues.

Ran 3.6 miles @ 8:17/mile pace.
Well groomed trails.
Slightly hilly.
Mid 60s, overcast, humid.
VFF Sprints, shorts, short sleeved shirt.

3 comments:

mindy said...

That's the sound grouse's make to lure you in and then ATTACK!! (cue me screaming). Glad you're back on the trail to recovery!

middle.professor said...

I spooked a grouse and it's chick's this morning walking out of the Rapid River to my car. Actually the chicks fled first. Mom stayed until she saw that they flew. Then I heard the whining puppy sound so maybe that is a grouse call for "come back chicks" or "hey, watch where you're going" or similar. The western grouse on the prairie used to scare the bejeezus out of me. I'd be walking along and they wouldn't fly until you almost stepped on them. Happened multiple times (I spent two summers in Montana doing Paleo field work).

sn0m8n said...

In that post, I could hear both the grouse's whimper and Mindy's screaming. Took me back. May have shed a tear.